Scripture Post #361: *I'M SINFUL*




Luke 5:8: "When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord."


[Disclaimer: The image here (in it's original form) was from an image search-engine. The original source of this image is unbeknown to me. I own no rights of this image.]

This is when Simon was talking to JESUS, right after JESUS caused him to catch many fish, and right before he became a disciple of JESUS. 
I love the attitude of Simon, here. I love it because Simon's words admit that he's not right, and that JESUS is LORD. He's like, "Get away from me, JESUS! You're too good for me. I'm not worthy of you, O LORD." Let me be clear: when we realize that we're sinful, we don't depart from JESUS. That's not my meaning at all. I want to be clear. The point I believe Simon was making was: that he was unrighteous, unworthy, undeserving and sinful, and JESUS was wonderful, holy and righteous. Simon realized how good JESUS was, and how bad he was. When you realize that you're nothing and GOD is everything, there's a surprisingly refreshing feeling about it. GOD created us, and as HIS creation we are very good. (Gen.1:31: "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.") So, the only reason we're very good is because we were created by a very good GOD. If we'd take the focus off of us, we'd see how good GOD truly is. It may sound self-belittling (because it is), but man is nothing without GOD. Man is sinful. And man needs GOD. 
1st John 1:8: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
Rom. 7:18: "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."
John 15:5: "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

CONTEXT:
Luke 5:1: "And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,"
V. 2: "And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets."
V. 3: "And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship."
V. 4: "Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught."
V. 5: "And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net."
V. 6: "And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake."
V. 7: "And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink."
V. 8: "When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord."
V. 9: "For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:"
V. 10: "And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men."
V. 11: "And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him."


Originally Published: Sun. 9/8/13

Comments

Popular Posts